https://lafayettedentistchauvin.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/root-canal-dr-chauvin-lafayette-la-.jpg 437 680 admin httpss://lafayettedenti.wpengine.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/logo_new.jpg admin2017-05-17 07:13:562017-03-20 15:17:17All about root canals
All about root canals
Root canals. You’ve heard the name, you’ve cringed for the poor souls going to the dentist for one, but do you know what a root canal procedure is? Or the reasons you might need one?
The inside of your tooth is filled with a soft material called “pulp” that help your teeth grow into maturity. When that pulp becomes infected or inflamed, it must be removed to relieve pain caused by swelling and minimize permanent damage to your teeth.
There are a few reasons you might need a root canal:
- Internal tooth decay
- Multiple dental procedures on the tooth
- Cracked or chipped tooth
A few signs point to the need for a root canal:
- Sensitivity to hot and cold
- Sensitivity to touch
- Swelling, drainage, tenderness in the lymph nodes and gum tissue
The root canal procedure follows these steps:
- X-rays taken and anesthetic administered
- Crown of the tooth (top of the tooth) opened and pulp removed from the inside of the tooth to make room for filling
- Space filled with a rubber-like material and an adhesive cement
- Crown placed on top of the tooth to restore it to full function
Root canals are often the subject of dental horror stories, but understanding the steps and going to a trusted and experienced dental provider can help put your mind at ease and relieve your pain. If you’re experiencing any of the symptoms above, consult our team to see how we can help.